Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Saying "no"

Today I said no to something that I was asked to do and I can't tell you how good it feels. By nature I'm somewhat of a people pleaser (which I think deep down most of us are). So when I get asked to do things, I have a really hard time saying 'no'.

Over the years, I've gotten better at this, but I still find it difficult sometimes when I'm asked. Mostly because most of the requests I get are for good things. Great things even. But sometimes a good thing can turn into a bad thing if you're not the right person for the job or you're over-committed as it is.

So I said no. I explained that I've got a job that I love that is my focus. Ministries that are my passion. And family and friends who I'd like to spend more time with, not less.

It felt good to have the freedom to say no. I wish I could have learned this very important lesson years ago- it would have made life a whole lot less complicated.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

no worries we understood. after all what's the verse about not being able to be all things to all people. can't remember the reference but its in there somewhere :-)

Kristen said...

Thanks Mike. That's one of the lessons I learned the most from the GHC seminar. We all have limitations and it's important to recognize what they are and live our lives accordingly.